Sunday 18 July 2010

Stock Takin' and Dippin'! 18/7/10


Hey up folks Webs stock takin' day today and these pesky free flyin' critters are part of the JCB collection at Rocester which is one of my sites and is full of other interestin' stuff that would get the old pulse racing momentarily if they turned up at nearby Utch. Wildfowl are always suspect at the best of times but round here everything has to be checked right down to the last feather!



After checkin' Hales Hall and Brookers and pickin' Jan up from her mornin' scourin' graveyards for long lost rellies I decided to break from the stock take and hit Chasewater for a second helpin' of Franklins Gull after it came on the pager as still present "but distant". A quick call to a long time birdin' pal with the offer of a lift which was turned down, finally confirmed what I've suspected for a long time now the lad is sufferin' from domestic strife or to give it it's medical name Henpeckeditus . It's sad but it looks like me old mucker has finally fallen by the wayside.





Anyway an hour later I was standin' on the dam at Chasewater in the rain with no sign of FRANK and very few birders lookin. After an hour and a chat to former Blithers regular Mike Inskip with nothin' more than a couple of YLG's on show I decided to hit Utch on the way home, finish the stock take and finally call at Croxden.



Utch 1335-1520

No sign of the Wood Sand' while i was there. The highlight bein' cripplin' views of a Lesser'throat and a crackin' count of seventeen Oyst's!

Oyst' 17, Green Sand' 4, LRP 5, Lesser'throat 3, Shelduck 1.



The best I could muster at Rocester was a single Common Tern perched on one of the steel birds in the middle of the north lake.




One last look at Croxden before home produced four Ravens overhead and an adult YLG among the LBBG's below the viewpoint! Brilliant, out all day and the bird of the day is a mile from home!! A Cheesedale year tick which puts me on 115 I think but can't be sure because I've lost me list.


That's all folks.










No comments:

Post a Comment