Sunday 27 February 2011

Utch 27/2/11 1455-1805, cloudy and cool, wind light n/w.

Hey up folks, I finally managed get to Utch this afternoon for the first time since last Sunday after spending yesterday in Chippers and Old Basing but the finer details of that little jolly will have to wait 'til later. This afternoons visit though was yet another example of just why I love ploddin' round me local patch far more than twitchin' nowadays even if yesterdays trip was a good un.





Amazingly news of a Great White at Blithers got out before dark but it couldn't pull me away from Utch and just as I was beginnin' to nod off while I waited to count the Goosander comin' into roost I picked up a large flock of Curlews droppin' into fields north of the main pit, my instant reaction was "bloody hell there must be hundreds of the buggers comin' in!!" A quick spot of hedge hoppin' and the flock was in front of me just long enough for me to flush 'em, "shit,shit and double shit!" Quick rough count as they flew off, 75! Almost straight away they landed in fields by the Dove, several counts produced figures of 64,66,64, 63 and 64 again so I settled on 64 as the final total!!!! Ten minutes after landin' they were off again heading n/w. A crackin' count and probably the biggest count I've ever had in the whole of Staffs never mind Utch.





Over the last couple of years we've managed some crackin' wader counts with highlights being 45 LRP's, 55 Dunlin, 13 Green Sand's, 18 Oyst's, 15 Blackwits and now 64 Curlew! Constant effort will eventually be rewarded I'm sure with a proper crippler but don't expect me to find it!!!





A Shelduck and flyover Grey Wag' were new additions to the old year list. Goosander peaked at 37 and a Barn Owl was showin' from 1725.





Curlew 64, Oyst' 4, Goosander 37, Wigeon 40, Gadwall 1, Shelduck 1, Teal 34, Pochard 10, Tufty 21, Mallard 122, Willow Tit 1, M'ipit 26, Barn Owl 1.





That's all folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment