Tuesday 10 August 2010

Redstart!



At this time of year I usually start doin' a spot of bush bashin' at Hales Hall Pool on the edge of Cheesedale lookin' for any migrant wobblers, flycatchers and chats that have stopped off on their way south. Today was a bit of a red letter day with a Redstart flashin' right in front of me just as one of the lads from work stopped for a chat! Needless to say it never showed again while I was there. Although it's only a mile to Hawksmoor and the Churnet Valley where Redstarts are regular breeders it's only my second record for the site.




With the Redstart at Hales and a pager message revealin' a Whinchat at Potteries Birdin' Mecca Berryhill I thought I'd give Tickhill ago but didn't expect to much with these seemingly permanent westerlies. Oh how wrong can you be! First hedge I looked in produced 2 Redstarts! After that it went rapidly downhill at Tickers with not even a sniff of a 'chat but I wasn't complain' after the recent run at Utch. As you can see from the picture below a 'scope is a must at Tickers. Make a note of that ready for when you're watchin' the biggy up there this autumn!








Next stop Utch and unbelievabley 2 more Redstarts! Both birds were in Hawthorns near the Dove. One was a corkin' male!!! Very little else at Utch not even a Green Sand'!







Quite a day really in local terms pour moi it's the first time I've ever had Redstarts at three different sites away from breedin' sites.
No Idea what the fly is, have you? Answers on a postcard please.




That's all folks.

1 comment:

  1. It's a Dragonfly! :o)

    Actually, I think it's a Common Darter.

    ReplyDelete