Wednesday 6 January 2010

Pesky Peregrines.


Hey up folks, what's your favourite bird? There can't be many birders that haven't been asked that by a non-birder at some time or other, or popped that question on the way back from a twitch.


Ever since i was a lad i've always, like many people i suppose, had a soft spot for raptors. But the one bird that really caught my imagination was the Peregrine Falcon(Falco Peregrinus).


I didn't see my first until i finally passed my driving test in my early twenties and started visiting Blithfield Reservoir in Staffordshire. I chuckle about it now, me and me old mate Nobby were walking up Blithe bay when i saw something drop onto the mud quite a distance away. A quick glance through the bins and it was in the bag, my first ever Peregrine sitting on the mud as if it owned the place! We then stalked the bird as if it were a mega rarity, crawlin' up the bay commando style before it finally took off and moved further up the bay.


Since that first time i've been lucky enough to actually study these stunning birds at very close quarters and never fail to be impressed by the power and beauty of these birds. Despite their speed and power it always surprises me how many times you see a bird or birds fail to catch their prey. They seem to have a poor success rate for the amount of time they spend on the wing and waste a lot of valuable energy . I once watched a pair chasing a Curlew(Numenius arquata) and despite their best efforts the curlew easily out manoeuvred the pair. Yet on another occasion i was watchin' a female perched on a cliff face, suddenly she sprang into action and sped low and flat into what was obviously a hunt. As she powered towards me a small flock of feral pigeons came into view, the female came up from underneath in typical fashion but missed! The male then suddenly stooped into the flock and also missed but then the female reappeared from underneath and this time took out one of the pigeons. She then took the pigeon back to her perch. All this lasted around thirty seconds! That's what you call fast food!!!


Have a good un.


No comments:

Post a Comment