Sunday 18 April 2010

SEDGE WOBBLER!!! Utch 18/4/10 1050-1150.




Well after a bit of a moan on BF about this sunbathin' weather beein' crap for passage it seems as though the birdin' Gods decided to stop me in my tracks by producing a singin' SEDGE WOBBLER this mornin' in the small reedbed opposite Leasowes fm pit!!! Yes, I know you must be thinkin' I've gone mad(madder) but despite plenty of habo there's only been one previous record and that was a singin' bird last year that RP had, but failed to see so this was definitely a Utch Mega! I was determined to see it so after crashin' through the hedge i managed to get into a position where if it popped up I'd be onto it straight away. Thankfully after a brief wait it popped up in full view!!! Get in there you beauty It's so much nicer when you don't have to wait around for hours unlike the singin' Nightingale that we spent hours tryin' to see last spring at Branston and failed. That's local patchin though, for me this little Sedgey might as well have been a Berkley Square Songster.



Despite only beein' at Utch for just an hour I still managed to weigh in with four Utch year ticks includin' the WOBBLER. That means I'm now on 97 and nearin' the ton again and it's still only April.



Sedge Warbler 1, Willow Warbler 1, Common Sandpiper 1, Nuthatch 1, Goosander 9, Shoveler 2.



A stroll round Cotton Dell this afternoon with Jan and the hounds produced a singin' Tree Pipit near the old college but no sign of the big woodland three. Two RLP's were in fields on Cotton Banks. No birds meant a bit of a play with the old Mugimaki in this beautiful part of Staffordshire.

That's all folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment